Monday, August 8, 2011

IBS: Moment by Moment


Acts 12:5—

"So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church."

Peter was in a desolate place, away from his church body with his friend dead. Anyone could imagine his state of mind. Peter was a blessed man to belong to such a faithful church full of people who earnestly prayed for him and lifted him up in his trials.

Over the last few days I have learned a lot about prayer. While talking to a fellow intern the other day I was encouraged to pray for things moment by moment. For example, when you’re in a hurry to get somewhere and you’re stopped by a red light instead of being mad or irritated lift it up to God saying, “ok, God, you know my schedule so thank-you for stopping me here at this light. I believe there is a reason I’m here, and not moving forward.”

I have been striving the last few days to apply this to certain situations in my life. Praying on a moment-to-moment basis, and the difference it has made is unbelievable. Before I did this I was always worried, how will this situation go, what will people think, am I doing the right or wrong thing, am I suppose to be here right now. Even though those things are all small-scale matters I was worried about them. When I took the time to stop and pray the difference in how situations when blew me away, and I felt like I was right where is suppose to be, right where Jesus wanted me.

Through this type of prayer life I was reminded to be praying for my friend who is going through the same thing. There is something so fulfilling about fervently praying for a friend in a trial. I love when Paul says in the beginning of Philippians, “I than my God in all my remembrances of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.”

Also, this verse makes me think of Katie Nielsen. Katie is an intern here who is leaving for the field this week. She is going to be placed in a foreign place, with foreign people, away from everything familiar. Everybody here at the ranch is her family, whether we’ve known her for one month or four months, we are her family and we need to be earnestly praying for her on this new journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment