Saturday, September 3, 2011

IBS: More Vulnerability


Ephesians 4:25—
Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.

It seems this has been coming up quite a bit lately. I have had so many conversations this week surrounding this very topic. Not because I struggle with honesty, actually I have no problem telling the truth when people ask for it…as long as it doesn’t concern myself. When it comes to opening up and being honest about what is going on inside of my heart, I struggle. I have walls that encompass me, and a shield to protect me. When someone asks how I am doing it is easy for me to smile and say all is well, when in reality, I am oppressed and upset.

2 Corinthians 6:12-13 says, “You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.

Widen your heart. Be Vulnerable. Vulnerability is an art. This is something I’ve learned many times over this past year, however putting it into practice is a lot harder than it may seem. To be vulnerable, to put away the shields we hide behind, leaves us wide open for attack. When we let down our shield and become real with each other, showing our raw emotions and past or current pains we can grow together in a whole new way. It’s hard to get close to people, or let people get close to you, when there are walls to avoid and dark places that nobody knows about. Put away your falsehoods, be true to yourself and those around you, and grow together as a family. I have always struggled with this. Why would I let people know what I’m thinking about or what is heavy on my heart? But I have learned since I’ve been here at the ranch, when you allow yourself to be open and vulnerable you are allowing people to speak truth and encouragement into your life. I need to step out from behind my shields, break down my walls and be honest with people.



No comments:

Post a Comment