Sunday, September 4, 2011

IBS: Don't Let The Sun Go Down


Ephesians 4:26—
Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger

The Lord never ceases to amaze me! Just last night I was talking to Jo (she’s a staff member here at the ranch) and I was telling her about how I had struggled a lot with forgiving someone in my past, and my heart grew bitter toward them. She said to me, well, the Bible doesn’t tell us not to be angry. It tells us not to let the sun go down on your anger. She had no idea what we are studying in IBS class. When the Lord has something to tell us He often does so in a way of repetition.

I struggle with forgiving people who continually hurt me. I went through years never forgiving someone who constantly hurt me, I would sleep angry with them, rise angry with them, and go through my day focusing on how mad at them I was. I gave up praying for them or having any hope in their salvation, or transformation. I harbored bitterness towards them and spoke harshly about them.

We are commanded to be light to this dark and hopeless world. How can we shine with the love of the Lord if we have hidden anger festering in our hearts? We cant. If I had been slow to anger and quick to love I may have been a light shining in this persons dark life, and I could be a powerful witness. I regret letting anger and hurt shut me down, but I thank the Lord that now, despite my behavior, another soul has been added to the kingdom.

I need to learn from this past experience and practice forgiving people right when I begin to feel frustrated with them. I want bitterness to be far from me.


Written: 9/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment