Friday, July 22, 2011

IBS: Where Are Your Treasures?

Acts 2:45

“And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.”

In this verse we see the group of new believers selling their belongings in order to give to those who were in  need. It is so great to see them pulling together to help each other, and maybe even those outside of the church.

It’s amazing to see one of my favorite passages being lived out, Luke 12:32-34

“Fear not little flock for it is the Fathers good pleasure to give you the kingdom. sell your possessions and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that don’t grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail. Where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

The members of the first church are inspiring. They held the people’s needs before their own and that’s not something we see very often in society today.

As for me, I have struggled with this a lot in the past. I used to shop when I hardly even had money to spend , and the moment I made any more money I was out spending it on myself again. It was so easy to overlook, not only those on the street who were in need, but the people who I knew personally who were in need.

I began to see how selfish I was but it took some time and practice before I was able to turn down a good sale or say no to the road trip my friends were planning. I began to help buy groceries and diapers for my family and put more gas in the car, but I was still in the trap of myself. What I  wanted!

One night I was talking with Jesus about wanting to go out on the mission field and He pointed out to me that it would be difficult to help people while lugging all my own stuff around. He also pointed out to me that yes I had cute clothes, but no money anymore to get me to the mission field.

It didn’t take long before i started donating a lot of my clothes to people in need and having yard sales to raise money. i was feeling pretty good, doing the right thing and helping people, but at the end of the day i was sad and somewhat regretful that i didn't have anything. i went back to these verses in Acts and Luke and remembered there's more to it then selling your stuff to give to the needy a, but i also need to be storing up my treasures in heaven and providing myself with moneybags that do not grow old. i know what the command is and the Lord has been working in my teaching me how to place my treasures in heaven. 

Written 7/21/11

No comments:

Post a Comment