Friday, July 22, 2011

IBS: Humble Joy


Acts 2:46:

"And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts."

It’s amazing to me how in each verse we study we get to see the members of the church grow closer together in brand new ways. Aside from attending the same church, they pray together, fellowship together, pull together to help those in need, and now open up their homes and share meals together. It’s such a perfect picture of what the church should look like, but also a perfect picture of what most churches are lacking.

The first thing that came to my mind when I read this verse is what we are all experiencing here at the ranch. Everyday, we attend the same classes, receive the same teachings, and share the same home. We share meal times together and even share food from plate to plate, and I can’t speak for everybody, but I have never had a more glad and generous heart. The Lord has knit us together in a way that I have never had at any church I’ve attended. Don’t get me wrong, I love my home church; I love that Metro Calvary is filled with such servants and we are fed breakfast at the morning services and dinner at the evening services. I love that the congregation is so friendly and I’ve made friends there, but it’s different here at potters field.
I was having a conversation with one of my new friends, Shaylene, today and we were talking about the first time we accidently called the ranch our “home.” Shaylene said that we were calling it that because even if you’re away from your house, your home is where your family is, and we are all family here. I feel so blessed to be able to share meals with everybody here.

I think this verse is another example of the importance of fellowship with our brothers and sisters, and I thank Jesus everyday that I have such amazing brothers and sisters to fellowship with. As Pastor G described it, the people were filled with Humble Joy. I loved that phrasing, and it reminded me that I need to be filled with humble joy whether I am here at the ranch with all of my friends, or back at home in a less intimate family-like setting. We should have humble joy no matter what our circumstances are. The members of the church were so filled with the Spirit and filled with joy because they spent time with the Lord everyday. Not on Sunday, not on Sunday and Wednesday but everyday! By spending time with the Lord everyday with are sure to be filled with joy, how could we not be?


Written: 7/22/11

No comments:

Post a Comment